Microsoft 365 Multi-Factor Authentication
ITS has begun deploying a Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) solution to increase security on campus for our data and our users. Carefully read through this document and watch the training video below to ensure that your account is setup properly.
What is Multi-Factor Authentication?
Multi-Factor Authentication, or MFA, is a security enhancement that requires our users to provide two (2) or more verifications of their identity in order to access certain W&J services. A factor in authentication is a way of proving that you are who you say you are, when you try to sign in. Factors are either something you know, or something you have. For example, a password is one kind of factor. For your second factor, you’ll use something you have, such as, your phone number or mobile device.
When checking your email, logging into Teams, using OneDrive, or any other Microsoft 365 service, you will be prompted for MFA in order to use the application. Once you enter the MFA code it will remember your device for roughly 90 days. In the future, our users can expect this security feature to be applied to Colleague, Informer, Self-Service, as well as other W&J applications.
Setting Up Your MFA Methods
With MFA enabled, you will need to verify your sign-in using a secondary factor when you utilize certain W&J services. The secondary factors are:
1. The Microsoft Authenticator App (for use on mobile devices). If you’d like to setup the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device and need more detailed instructions, you can find them here.
2. Alternate Phone (such as your cell phone)
3. Office Phone
You can add several different factors to your account. Whichever option you choose as your Default Sign-in Method will be the option used to verify your identity each time you sign in. Most of W&J users find the easiest verification options are via "Phone - Text" or "Microsoft Authenticator - Notification".
To Add A Factor of Authentication to Your Account
- Visit https://aka.ms/mfasetup and sign into your W&J Account.
- Click - Add Method at the top of the page and choose your desired option.
- Follow the prompts on the screen to setup and verify your chosen method. You can repeat this for each factor you’d like to add to your account. It is fine to add multiple methods, for example Phone and Microsoft Authenticator.
- When adding your Office Phone - follow the example below. Do not use dashes with the main campus phone number or with your direct dial number. If using the main campus phone number of 7245031001 - don't forget to include your four (4) digit extension number. If using your direct dial office phone number - do not add your extension.
- Once you’ve added all the factors you’d like to use, you can select your default sign in method at the top of the page. Whatever you select will be the default method across any application that requires MFA. You can change it at any time by selecting “change”.
Once you’re setup, you'll use this authentication method to access W&J Applications.
If you require further assistance, please contact the ITS HelpDesk by submitting a ticket.