Faculty, staff, and students have access to Microsoft Teams app for online collaboration, chat, and videoconferencing. This product may be used to create online, real-time interactive classrooms. Please be aware of any technical, environmental, or legal restrictions when choosing a video-conferencing tool.
Creating a team in Microsoft Teams
In order to access videoconferencing features in Microsoft Teams, you will need to create a new team within the app.
- Instructions for creating a team can be found here.
If using this app for academic purposes, please be sure to add each participating student or group member to the team and update enrollment into and out of the team as appropriate.
Creating or scheduling an online meeting with videoconferencing
Online class or group meetings with videoconferencing capabilities can be scheduled in advance or engaged through the Teams app at any time. Scheduled meetings can be synchronized with and accessed from your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Instructions for scheduling a meeting can be found here.
- Instructions for joining or starting an instant meeting can be found here.
Meetings can be recorded and stored for future access.
- Instructions for recording meetings in Microsoft Teams can be found here.
Preparing for videoconferencing
A guide to video-conferencing best practices can be found here.
- Meetings can be joined through a preferred internet browser.
- Please ensure that all invited or anticipated meeting participants have access to tested and functioning videoconferencing hardware, including a webcam, speakers, and microphone.
- Headsets are recommended for video conferencing.
- Wired internet connections are preferred over wireless internet connections when possible.
- Participants should be advised to choose a quiet place with few environmental noises or distractions.
- Microphones should be muted when not in use to reduce session interference.
For more information about using Microsoft Teams, visit the resources below, visit the Microsoft Teams for Education Quick Start Guide.